It’s Important To Have Someone You Trust By Your Side

Enforcing a custody order

On Behalf of | Jul 5, 2023 | Custody & Visitation |

If you cannot see your child because of your former partner’s refusal to respect your rights in accordance with a child custody order, it is critical to take action at once. In California, you have a number of options with regard to enforcing a child custody order. You should address custody violations as soon as you can in order to safeguard your child’s best interests and your relationship.

Sadly, many parents cannot spend time with their children as a result of custody violations.

How can you enforce a child custody order?

The Judicial Branch of California goes over some of the ways that you can have a child custody order enforced in this state. For example, you can provide local authorities with a copy of your custody order and seek their assistance with respect to enforcement. Additionally, you can file a contempt case in court and reach out to the judge for help.

Should you update a custody order?

Depending on your circumstances, updating your custody order could make sense. In doing so, you can benefit from an order that contains additional details and covers various concerns you have. If your child’s other parent has interfered with your ability to see your child in accordance with a court order, you have the ability to request changes.

If you have dealt with violations of your rights regarding custody and visitation, keep records of all violations and try to gather as much evidence as possible. If you decide to enforce a custody order, make sure you go over your options meticulously.