It’s Important To Have Someone You Trust By Your Side

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Child Custody & Visitation

Upholding Your Children’s Interests During Family Disputes

As a parent, you know that it’s important to prioritize your children’s interests before your own. If you are involved in a heated family dispute, however, their needs can take a backseat to other concerns. Your family law conflict may be temporary, but the effect it has on your relationship with your children can last for years.

At Amaral Law Inc., I make it my priority to advocate for children when I assist parents with all family law issues. I strive to minimize the impact your legal concerns have on your children’s mental and emotional welfare. Using my compassion and legal knowledge, I have helped many families in San Joaquin County protect their family bonds while resolving custody and visitation conflicts. I can also serve as minor’s counsel in high-conflict custody cases.

Securing Fair Custody And Visitation Agreements

I encourage parents to work together to find a solution without court involvement. Using negotiation to secure custody and visitation terms will allow you to retain more control over final agreements.

I remain up-to-date with California’s custody and visitation laws so I can educate you on the benefits and challenges associated with these options:

  • Sole physical custody
  • Joint physical custody
  • Sole legal custody
  • Joint legal custody
  • Emergency child custody and visitation orders
  • Mothers’ rights
  • Fathers’ rights
  • Paternity actions

I will help you develop a custody or visitation plan that meets your children’s needs and protects your parenting rights. If you are unable to reach an agreement outside the courtroom, I am qualified to represent you in courthouses throughout Stockton and the surrounding areas.

Acting Swiftly During Custody Emergencies

Far too often, I have represented parents in custody emergencies, which include possible parental abductions or kidnapping. If your children’s parent disregards the terms of your agreement, I will act promptly to secure a court order. I have been able to receive emergency orders within 24 hours of the violation and have successfully petitioned for custody modifications and enforcement.

Frequently Asked Questions About Custody And Visitation

Have questions about custody or visitation issues in California? Below is some general information to consider.

How Is Child Custody Determined In California?

Custody determinations are based on the best interests of the children. There is no formula for determining custody, though there is a presumption in favor of joint custody, assuming that arrangement is in the children’s best interests. Numerous case-specific factors factor into the analysis.

Can A Father Get Physical Child Custody In California?

Yes. Every family is different, so it depends on the situation. Contrary to what some people believe, there is no presumption in favor of mothers or fathers when it comes to physical custody. Joint (shared) physical custody is the preferred arrangement when it’s in the best interests of the children.

How Is Child Custody Usually Shared In California?

Physical custody can be shared through any number of arrangements. It all depends on the parenting time split and what works best for your children and family. Some of the most common joint custody arrangements include:
  • Week on/week off
  • 2-2-3
  • 2-2-5-5
  • Additional schedules based on the best interest of the children and the availability of the parents.

When you work with me, I can walk you through various custody schedules.

Can A Parent With Physical Child Custody Relocate?

If you have permanent sole custody, you may be able to move without the other parent’s input. However, a lot depends on the terms of your custody arrangement. It’s important to talk with a lawyer if you’re considering relocating.

Can Child Custody And Visitation Change After My Divorce Is Final?

When life changes and your existing custody schedule no longer works, you can pursue a modification. The easiest way to do so is to get the other parent’s buy-in. If they don’t agree, you may need to seek a modification in court. I can help you through this process, ensuring that the modification is solidly documented so that you don’t face hurdles later.

Connect With A Skilled Ally

You can connect with me via my online form or by texting or calling 209-881-9136. You can depend on me to return your messages promptly because I know that your custody issues are urgent. Arrange your custody consultation today.